Spring has Sprung...
along with the pale pink buds on the trees lining my street. Those darn near impossible to resist chocolate filled eggs, teasing me at the check out line... and the Claritin boxes stacked in my medicine cabinet, preparing for a long, hard fight.
Convertible top down, patio door open, and OMGoodness, I didn't realize just how white my legs have gotten... where are you Summer?
Well, until Summer, I promise to embrace every moment of Spring. A time that reminds of bunnies and puppies and white patent leather shoes and Easter bonnets (join me in a revival?) And don't forget quiche.
So, this is a special quiche. A quiche, that since I'm now (well) past the Spring of my life, I can pretty much say is my favorite quiche. Ever. And that's saying a lot from a former Innkeeper.
And while this quiche was perfect before, I couldn't help resist adding a few tweaks since my B&B years. And now it is phenomenal.
I don't say that often- heck, I could barely spell it.
Just phenomenal (yea, just try saying that one 10 times in a row!)
Phenomenal. Phenomenal. Phenomenal...
Now go make this quiche! And check out the other amazing recipes from this week's #SudaySupper, hosted by the fabulous Mama's Blissful Bites. I can't wait to check them all out myself.
Shrimp and Leek Swiss Cheesy Quiche
1 frozen deep dish pie shell, defrosted
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped into thin half moons, just the white and start of light green part
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup cream
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt (less if you use the below Ruth Ann's)
1/2 teaspoon lemon peel (I used Ruth Ann's Muskego Ave. Chicken and Fish Seasoning and it was out of this world!!!)
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
A few grinds of pepper
8 oz. cooked, thawed and well drained (sqeeze w/paper towels) cocktail shrimp (or as I found them today called salad shrimp...the tiny ones)
1 tablespoon flour
1-1/2 swiss cheese, grated
First, blind bake the defrosted pie shell (prick sides and bottom with a fork first) by baking on a cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for about 13 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
Then saute the leek and onion in olive oil unil tender. While those are cooking, mix the eggs, cream, milk, salt, pepper, lemon peel, nutmeg, shrimp, flour and cheese.
Pour into pie shell and bake about 40 minutes or until center is set.
And for the rest of our Green and Spring Recipes, click the links below.
Green and Spring Dishes Menu Includes:
Green and Spring Dishes Menu Includes:
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips