Growing up, I thought that some foods just tasted itchy... to everyone!
Like carrots, and walnuts, and salmon.
I have food allergies, and luckily I had a good Allergist, because back then there weren't allergy warnings on labels or restaurant menus. Or even much written on the subject, for that matter.
And while many kids "grew out of it," I never did, which is a shame because some of my very favorite foods are the ones that make me feel the worst. Like chocolate (yup, I said chocolate), or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
But there's hope for us allergy sufferers, especially these days, as there are many more substitutions and creative ways to work around the culprits.
And, this week's Sunday Supper theme, which is hosted by Bea over at The Not so Cheesy Kitchen, couldn't be more perfect, as it's all about allergy free cooking. Gluten free, egg free, soy free, diary free and nut free options for those of us with food sensitivities or actual allergies.
When I first heard the theme, I immediately remembered a cookie that I'd seen made on The Chew.
I love The Chew and watch it every day, and they always have great recipes. But this particular recipe really stood out, as both Daphne and Carla went crazy over it, along with the rest of the hosts.
Not only did it have one of my favorite flavors- lemon. It also had one of my all time favorite spices- cardamom. So, I headed over to their website to check out their recipe, but kept on clicking when I saw it had ground nuts.
Luckily, this week's theme got me motivated to try some nut free options, and I'm glad I did. The cookies came out beautifully... without the itch.
When it comes to nut free cooking, many recipes use nuts like you would with chocolate chips in cookies... simply to add flavor and an interesting element to the dish. In this case, you can just leave them out. But often, nuts are used to create texture, like in these cookies, or crusts of cheesecakes. In these cases, you'll need to consider the best substitution for that particular texture.
For instance, in this recipe, the original called for ground nuts. I decided on graham cracker crumbs because I thought they'd add a similar texture. But, I cut back on the amount, since I knew they'd soak up some of the liquid, and I didn't want to dry out the cookies.
Some other nut free substitution ideas:
- Graham crackers, crumbled and lightly toasted
- Nut free granola
- Grape nuts
Nut Free Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoons orange zest
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
2-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoons ground cardamom
For the Lemon Sugar:
1-1/2 teaspoons dried lemon zest
1 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and zest and orange zest. Add in salt, graham cracker crumbs, flour and cardamom and stir to combine. Roll into small balls using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until browned on the bottom and firm to the tough on top.
Let cool for a few minutes, or until you can handle them. While still warm, roll in the lemon sugar. Makes about 30 cookies.
*This recipe was adapted from Carla Hall's Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies.
Want more allergy free recipes? Check out what the Sunday Supper Team has come up with!
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut & Soy Free Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding by girlichef
- Dairy & Nut and Sugar Free Blueberry Tangerine Muffins by Vintage Kitchen
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut, and Soy Free Homemade Mango Jam Recipe by Masala Herb
- Gluten Free Nothing Missing Manicotti by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Sun-Dried Tomato & Feta Meatballs over Courgette Noodles by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Gluten Free Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Balsamic Portobello Burgers by Curious Cuisinere
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Nut Free Mushroom Risotto Bake by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Vegan Mac and "Cheese" by Webicurean
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Creamy Mushrooms on Pasta by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Enoki Mushroom & Pine Nut Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Gluten Free Persian Cucumber Yogurt by Shockingly Delicious
- Gluten Free Quinoa with Olives, Basil and Sun-dried Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- Dairy Free Farro and Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Dairy Free Fattoush Salad by From the Bookshelf
- Gluten Free Chickpea Fritters by The Lovely Pantry
- Dairy, Egg, and Gluten Free Black Bean and Mango Salad by Soni's Food
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, and Nut Free Grilled Fennel Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Dairy & Gluten Free French Bread by Blueberries and Blessings
- Dairy & Gluten Free Crunchy Almond Sesame Crackers by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Dairy & Gluten Free Individual Chocolate Pavlovas by The Girl in The Little Red Kitchen
- Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies by Juanita's Cocina
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Apple Almond Butter Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Flour by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Nut Free Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairy Free Chocolate Gelato by Growing Up Gabel
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Sugar Free Cantaloupe, Strawberry, & Coconut Gazpacho by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Meringue Kisses with Dulce de Lece by Basic N Delicious
- Dairy & Egg Free Vegan Everyday Chocolate Loaf by Gotta Get Baked
- Gluten, Dairy, and Nut Free Coconut Macaroons by Happy Baking Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Soy Free Tastes like Chocolate Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Gluten Free Mousse & Cookies by Ninja Baking
- Gluten Free Brown Butter Snickerdooles by Pies and Plots
- Dairy, Egg & Soy Free Chai Spice Coconut Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gluten Free Lemonade Dip by The Messy Baker
- Nut & Fat Free Chocolate Angel Food Cake by Table for Seven
- Gluten & Dairy Free Honey Bear Smoothies by Neighborfood
- Sugar Free Strawberry Meyer Lemonade by The Weekend Gourmet