Lately, when I think retro, I think less about magic 8-balls, my pink '68 Karmann Ghia, or the unanswerable question of whether Rush or Supertramp is the greatest band of all time.
And, more about my retro self. A time when I was perfectly happy sitting under the tree reading my latest Nancy Drew book all afternoon... without the distraction of electronics. When we didn't think about working out, or dieting... we simply rode our bikes, walked, ran, rode our horses, played handball, and made sure we were home by 5 pm for our home-cooked meals around the table. And dessert. Now, we didn't have dessert every day, but when we did, it was super sweet, and extra rich and comforting, just like Hummingbird Cake.
So, for this week's retro theme, hosted by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks, I decided to make something based on this southern classic. The original recipe for Hummingbird Cake was printed in Southern Living Magazine in 1978. It quickly caught on first, as a way to use up extra bananas. And then, as a special occasion cake, which is still enjoyed today.
And with all the flavors of that traditional cake, I created a cookie. With a base including banana. Cream cheese mixed in, instead of used as a frosting. And bits of pineapple and maraschino cherries that make this delightful dessert just as beautiful as it is delicious. Living up to the original cake's claim to fame of tasting... and looking "hummingbird sweet."
Hummingbird Cream Cheese Cookies
1 c. margarine, softened (I use butter flavored crisco sticks)
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 large ripe banana
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. light brown sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla
2-1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. pineapple tidbits, drained
1/4 c. chopped maraschino cherries
Cream margarine, sugars, banana and cream cheese. Add in egg and vanilla and beat well. In a smaller bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Then fold in pineapple tidbits and cherries. Spoon onto cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Makes 18 large or 36 small cookies. Also great straight out of the freezer, once baked.
Don't miss a post... sign up here to get them in your e-mail box!
And don't forget to check out the other Retro Recipes from my fellow #SundaySupper bloggers!
Bodacious Breakfasts and Appetizers:
- Classic Chex Party Mix from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Healthy Green Goddess Dip from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Homemade Donuts from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Made in the Shade Main Dishes:
- Bacon Individual Meatloaf from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken ala King from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Chicken and Rice Casserole from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicken in a Basket from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Parisienne from Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Chicken Pot Pie from Whole Food | Real Families
- Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast from FoodieTots
- Creamy Baked Pork Chops from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Individual Beef Wellingtons from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Mom’s Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuits from Simply Healthy Family
- Mom’s Shepherd’s Pie from Momma’s Meals
- Ravioli di Magro from Manu’s Menu
- Salisbury Steak with Onion Gravy from Webicurean
- Sweet and Sour Pork Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Tuna Noodle Casserole from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Uptown Goulash from Family Foodie
Swell Side Dishes:
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole with Ritz Topping from NeighborFood
- Creamy Lime Gelatin Salad from Magnolia Days
- Harvard Beets from Take A Bite Out Of Boca
- Retro Crockpot Crabby Soup from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Seven Layer Salad from Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Wedge Salad from Our Good Life
- Bananas Foster from The Redhead Baker
- Creamsicle Jello Mold from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Dream Balls from Wallflour Girl
- Hummingbird Cream Cheese Cookies from Dandelion Greens
- Jello Poke Cake from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Heath Bar Cake from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Old Fashioned Banana Pudding from Pies and Plots
- One, Two, Three Jello from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Original Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake with No Cook Fudge Frosting from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Raspberry Crunch from Peaceful Cooking
- Tunnel of Fudge Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
The Bee’s Knees Beverages:
- Crème de Menthe Parfait from Food Lust People Love
- Side Car from Nosh My Way
- Vanilla Bean Old Fashioned from The Texan New Yorker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement